Front Office Assistant
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This list may not include all of the duties assigned.
- Opens office for daily business and assures reception/work areas are neat and orderly.
- Greets and acknowledges patients upon arrival in a prompt courteous, and helpful manner.
- Checks in patients, verifies and updates necessary demographic and insurance information.
- Screens visitors and responds to routine requests for information.
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages and provides information
- Schedules appointments according to office scheduling policies
- Completes all necessary paperwork or reports related to job junctions.
- Maintain current, accurate information on computer regarding patient, including insurance records; copy related printed insurance documentation.
- Complete insurance claim information for electronic processing.
- Apply incoming payments at time of service, resolve credit balances, apply charges appropriately, and assist with other collection processes and insurance-related questions.
- Prints fee tickets and demographic face sheets for patient visits.
- Process all Medicare, Medicaid, and contract insurance patients according to department policies and procedures. Maintain working knowledge of insurance provider plans.
- Retrieve, sort and deliver incoming mail.
- Post charges, ICD 9 and CPT codes accurately.
- Develop new patient charts.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Responsible for performing daily trial balances.
- Maintain a working knowledge of practice and organizational policies and procedures.
- Responsible for support of fellow team members.
- Maintain knowledge of insurance plans, ICD-9 and CPT coding, fee schedules, and practice policies and procedures. Evaluates current processes for problem solving/ enhancement; bring necessary input to team meeting or Office Manager as appropriate.
- Handle multiple tasks and time deadlines and demands effectively and efficiently by establishes priorities.
- Attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Execute other verbal and written specific assigned tasks, requiring similar or lesser skills and abilities, some of which are continuing, while others are occasional in nature. Prepares reports and other documentation as required.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Experience and knowledge in ICD-9 and CPT coding and medical terminology required.
- Knowledge of insurance and patient billing preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working in a medical office.
- Computer experience required. Misys experience preferred.
- Ability to work and maintain effectiveness under multiple time demands and pressures.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral/written instructions required.
- Appearance to meet professional standards of community.
- Work performance typically conducted in public view.
- Interaction with co-workers and patients is constant and interruptive.
- Respond to multiple incoming telephone lines.
- Spend as much as fifty (50) percent of time on telephone.
- Some periods of work will be stressful.
- Involves frequent contact with patients.
- Standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for office machine use.
- Vision adequate to read small print on insurance cards and standard print.
- Hearing of normal range for telephone and patient contact.
- Stooping, bending, pushing, pulling or stretching for files.
- Manipulate and manage multiple bits of information.
- Working on computer screen for extended periods.
- Lifting and handling materials of up to 30 lbs.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND WORK AIDS
- Multi-phone system
- Adding machine
- Fax machine
- Credit card machine
The duties described above are indicative of the knowledge, skills and abilities and normal task assignment of this job, and do not constitute an exhaustive list of all tasks, which may be required. Additional duties requiring similar or lesser skills may be added at any time without the necessity of altering the description or re-evaluating the job.