Phone Triage Nurse
Screens telephone calls for the physician and assists in providing quality care to patients and meeting their needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Answers and screens patient phone calls and serves as a liaison for the physicians.
- Calls in prescriptions.
- Calls patients to give lab/test results.
- Takes and records patient vital signs, medical history. May administer injections and conducts patient education.
- Collects sterile urine samples by catheter.
- Completes all necessary paperwork or reports related to job functions.
- Maintains current, accurate medical information in the patient’s chart as well as patient demographic and insurance information .
- Performs laboratory tests and other tests for which competency has been documented, as directed.
- Collects specimens for lab testing by drawing blood.
- Performs patient treatments and education as directed by the physician.
- Responsible for making/ and or coordinating appointments with other physicians or for ancillary services.
- Complete all necessary paperwork or reports related to job junctions; update patient charts; filing and retrieving necessary files/paperwork.
- Adhere to OSHA and CLIA guidelines.
- Perform emergency procedures which include evacuation procedures and other emergent activities as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Maintain a working knowledge of practice and organizational policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate inventory levels for medical supplies and equipment.
- Evaluates current processes for problem solving/ enhancement; bring necessary input to team meeting or Practice Manager as appropriate. Responsible for support of fellow team members. Attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Handle multiple tasks and time deadlines and demands effectively and efficiently by establishing priorities.
- Execute other verbal and written specific assigned tasks, requiring similar or lesser skills and abilities, some of which are continuing, while others are occasional in nature. Prepares reports and other documentation as required.
- Attend meetings and/or training programs as necessary, participate in departmental meetings as requested.
- LPN or RN required. Previous experience in physician office preferred.
- CPR certification required.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral or written instructions required.
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding and medical terminology.
- Ability to work and maintain effectiveness under multiple time demands and pressures.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills necessary.
- Appearance to meet professional standards of community.
- Interaction with co-workers and patients is constant and interruptive.
- Frequent exposure to infectious agents and hazardous chemicals.
- Some periods of work will be stressful.
- Involves frequent contact with ailing patients.
- Working alone to working around others as needed.
- Irregular work pace
- Irregular work hours
- Standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for office machine use.
- Vision adequate to read small print on insurance cards and standard print.
- Hearing of normal range for telephone and patient contact.
- Stooping, bending, pushing, or pulling to reach supplies.
- Lifting and assisting patients of various sizes to exam table and/or wheelchair.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND WORK AIDS
- Multi phone system
- Fax machine
- Laboratory testing equipment
- Other medical office equipment