Serves as an assistant to the physician. Assumes responsibility for maintaining the back office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Prepare patients for physician examination based on office protocol.
- Assist physician(s) with examination and procedures as directed.
- Orders medication prescriptions as directed by the physician.
- Completes all necessary paperwork or reports related to job functions.
- Maintains current, accurate medical information in the patient’s chart as well as patient demographics and insurance information.
- Performs laboratory tests and other tests for which competency has been documented, as directed.
- Collects specimens for lab testing by drawing blood.
- Performs patient treatments and education as directed by the physician.
- Responsible for making/ and or coordinating appointments with other physicians or for ancillary services.
- Complete all necessary paperwork or reports related to job junctions; update patient charts; filing and retrieving necessary files/paperwork.
- Restock rooms following patient examination and clean all areas and prepare for next patient, clean instruments in preparation for sterilization.
- Adhere to OSHA and CLIA guidelines.
- Perform emergency procedures which include evacuation procedures and other emergent activities as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Maintain a working knowledge of practice and organizational policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate inventory levels for medical supplies and equipment.
- Evaluates current processes for problem solving/ enhancement; bring necessary input to team meeting or Practice Manager as appropriate. Responsible for support of fellow team members. Attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Handle multiple tasks and time deadlines and demands effectively and efficiently by establishes priorities.
- Execute other verbal and written specific assigned tasks, requiring similar or lesser skills and abilities, some of which are continuing, while others are occasional in nature. Prepares reports and other documentation as required.
- Attend meetings and/or training programs as necessary, participate in departmental meetings as requested.
- Certified Medical Assistant or equivalent required. Previous experience in physician office preferred.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral or written instructions required.
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 coding and medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to work and maintain effectiveness under multiple time demands and pressures.
- Appearance to meet professional standards of community.
- Interaction with co-workers and patients is constant and interruptive.
- Frequent exposure to infectious agents and hazardous chemicals.
- Some periods of work will be stressful.
- Involves frequent contact with ailing patients.
- Working alone to working around others as needed.
- Irregular work pace
- Irregular work hours
- Standing and sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for office machine use.
- Vision adequate to read small print on insurance cards and standard print.
- Hearing of normal range for telephone and patient contact.
- Stooping, bending, pushing, or pulling to reach supplies.
- Lifting and assisting patients of various sizes to exam table and/or wheelchair.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND WORK AIDS
- Multi phone system
- Fax machine
- Laboratory testing equipment
- Other medical office equipment